Saturday, September 3, 2011

New "Say NO to Drugs" Campaign


Days this week to LA:  4 and 1/2.  Today Kevin made it half way to LA before having to turn back.  Kevin’s platelets have been decreasing all week, so first thing this morning he needed to have a blood test.  Based on the results, one of the following scenarios would take place: a)if the platelets dropped below 20, he would go to the hospital for a platelet transfusion, b) if the platelets increased above 30, he would drive to LA for the COQ10 infusion, or c)if the platelets remained between 20 - 30, he would come home and watch movies all day.  Kevin was hoping for a) (only because a transfusion would help escalate his body out of the danger zone), I was hoping for c), but we went forward with b) until receiving the phone call that the blood results showed the same platelet count. (time to head home to watch movies) Despite the platelets, Kevin has done amazing this week.  Monday was a little brutal.  We spent 9 hours in the doctor’s office.  Because his dilaudid pump is using his portacath, Kevin’s right arm veins were used for the COQ10, and his left arm veins were used for NINE! blood draws. (Josh said, “Can they even do that?!”)  Kevin was getting so sick of the bad sticks.  He kept claiming that he has excellent veins.  And I agree with him.  I remember one of the very first times holding Kevin’s hand and looking down at his arms . .I had never seen such HUGE forearms (and veins!).  They looked just like Popeye’s! I knew this guy was no stranger to old fashioned manual labor.  So we were both perplexed that the nurse couldn’t hit his darn veins.  Our hot date night in LA was actually a lot of fun.  With Kevin in charge of the tv remote control I think we watched at least 6 different movies. Tuesday morning’s appointment was only a blood test (ha - only another blood test).  Wednesday was the 2nd day of the COQ10 infusion and my dad safely transported Kevin there and back and provided the entertainment in between. This left me behind to attend Freshman Orientation with Sophie and do some back to school shopping with Ben, Sam, and Soph.  The boys would much rather have been shopping with GG.  As we walked the isles of Target they would shout out at the next coolest thing, and then say, “Where’s GG?!” And it’s true.  Their mom stuck to the list that included shoes, backpacks, lunch boxes, and mechanical pencils, not big bouncy balls, legos, or bike helmets.  Thursday I was back on the road with Kevin.  Kevin commented that he could be the poster child for a “say NO to drugs” campaign - “anyone contemplating taking drugs, spend a day with Kevin and see how BORING druggies are!”  (Not quite sure what my excuse is, because I’m totally boring too!  Maybe someone should investigate if spending time with someone else on drugs, can make YOU boring . .kind of like second hand smoke)  Actually, Kevin is far from boring.  He continues to keep our family entertained.  Here are a few classics:  When we were flying to North Carolina, we had Kevin heavily medicated to endure the long flight.  We were standing on the airport curb checking in our luggage and Kevin was watching a lady paint her toenails before getting out of her car.  Kevin said to her, “I’ve seen a lot of things in my life, but THAT takes the cake!”  Yesterday as we were driving Kevin said, “I’ve looked at a map and the best way out of here is the 405.”  I completely agreed with him since we had been traveling on the 405 for 40 miles.  A few of his texts have been a little crazy. One late night Kevin was texting his good friend.  It started off on the right train of thought but somehow ended with “I love you sweetheart.”  Kevin had a good laugh the next day when he read what he had sent.  At least it was from the heart and intelligible.  A late night text this week was simply, “what dacchh kan i zayyyy yiuknow man?”  Which actually sums this week up perfectly!!

8 comments:

  1. Oh Abby, I am always amazed at how by the end of your posts, I am smiling and giggling at your good humor! Your weeks and days are so all consuming, and I hope you are able to get some rest! We will be praying and fasting for your whole family tomorrow, and praying that the laughs continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in awe of the amazing SoCal Hegewalds!! Mario is hoping for an assignment in San Jose soon so he can skip down for a visit. I SO want to come as well! We love you SO much and will be fasting for Kevy tomorrow! I wish there was more that I could do. I love your blog, Abby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We send our love and will have you in our hearts and prayers today...as every day! Allen and Judy Brown want you to know how much we love and appreciate the Hegewald/Cannon families! Abby...you should write a book! Kevin and Abby, we, too, are in AWE of your strength and courage!
    The Tabernacle Choir just sang: "I Feel My Savior's Love"! How appropriate! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Continuing to pray for all of you! Keep fighting, Hege!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the popeye arms are a hegewald trait. People comment on Markus' all the time. Thanks for throwing in some of the funnies Kev is pulling. They really made me laugh. Continual prayers and temple runs for you all! This treatment is the ONE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And today there was a bomb scare at San Clemente High School, to top it all off. Prayers for healing coming your way. Best, Jim Sperber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like the process of getting the CoQ10 is going to go well....so happy for you Kevin!! Long trips to LA and bak, Abby if you ever need a break I could do a trip with Kevin for you once if you need to do stuff with the kids with school and all. Just let me know.

    awesome notes on the texting, i can say ive done that a few times in my life...keep up the good spirits and as always you are in my prayers and thoughts.

    God Bless
    Michelle Sheptak

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there guys! We love you!!!

    ReplyDelete