Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Make Today Count

I had a dream last night.  Kevin was in his hospital scrubs leaving for work.  He took me in his arms and kissed me goodbye and told me over and over again how sorry he was to have to leave me.  I woke up a little sad thinking, that wasn’t a dream, that used to be my reality.  I then realized it’s still pretty close to my reality.  

President Thomas Monson said, “People facing death don’t think about what degrees they have earned, what positions they have held, or how much wealth they have accumulated.  At the end, what really matters is who you loved and who loved you.  That circle of love is everything, and is a great measure of a past life.  It is the gift of the greatest worth.” He continues, “Time is a gift, a treasure not to be put aside for the future but to be used wisely in the present.”  This was from a lesson we had last week at Family Home Evening.  We made a commitment to each other that we would make every day count.  That’s our newest family motto.  I definitely miss the old days when our motto was “Work before Play” or “Be Nice.”  But I guess “Make Today Count” is a motto we should all strive to live by.  Some situations just encourage us to really do it.  So we asked our children, “If today was the last day our family might be together in this life,  how would you spend your time?  What would you do differently?”  There have been a lot more hugs.  And a lot more kisses.  We’ve always said “I love you” a lot, but we make sure it’s the last thing we say at the end of the night.  We decided that as long as you can go to bed at night knowing that your family knows you love them, and you feel loved by them, then you can go to sleep confidently and peacefully.  
With our new motto, Kevin has been faced with the decision on how he wants to spend his time.  The answer came more in what he didn’t want to do . .and that was to endure a painful drive up to LA for the COQ10 study.  So we’ve stayed home and have been blessed with ways to make each day count.  Labor Day weekend we were surrounded by  fun and activity that my sister’s and my brother’s families brought into our home.  Kevin even took a spin in his wheelchair to see a movie with everyone.  Last Wednesday was an exciting day . .some called it “1st day of school,” others, “bomb scare day.”  Did you see the bomb threat at San Clemente High School on the national news?  Three hours sitting in a stadium in the heat was Sophie’s first introduction to high school. Thursday afternoon our power went out (as did much of Southern California into Arizona)  We saw it as a gift - no tv, no ipad, no computer - all of us sitting around the family room lit with candles telling stories and eating Carls Jr. burgers.  Kevin said that was one of the greatest moments eating that naughty, unhealthy burger. Friday was another gift - NO school due to the power outage!  We were able to get in that last summer beach day that we had been deprived of over the rainy Labor Day weekend.  Our children enjoyed the cold water and warm weather with both sets of their grandparents.  I woke up early Saturday morning to rain.  I said a prayer thanking Heavenly Father for yet another stay at home family day (they just kept on coming!!) Unfortunately, I woke up too early (yes) and forgot that it usually clears up in San Clemente (yes), so by 10:30 am. all tennis, soccer, and football games were on.  The highlights this day included Sophie successfully conquering her first high school tennis match with a smile, Kevin taking another ride in his wheelchair to watch Ben play goalie for the first time (he was awesome!), and sending Josh out the door with his 3 uncles and granddad, wearing a red U of U shirt to the USC game! (we have a picture)
I did have a very scary moment last week.  Kevin was in excruciating pain and asked me to come see if his dilaudid pump was working.  When I looked at Kevin, his shirt was covered in blood!  Remember, he had a 16 platelet count. I silently freaked out, which means I said out loud, “oh my goodness, oh my goodness, we need to get you to the hospital” and on the inside I was thinking, well, I can’t really write what I was thinking.  With investigation, we discovered that his dilaudid pump had become unhooked, the tubing had filled up with blood, and was leaking out. Kevin simply talked me through flushing the line with saline, sterilizing the attachments, and hooking the pump back up to the tubing.  Just so you know, those are not skills I have ever had to perform before. He said that the dilaudid withdrawal he had been experiencing was one of the most painful things yet.  Usually I can’t relate.  But seeing that my mom left today after 4 weeks of being with us - I know withdrawal.  I haven’t bled out yet, but it’s still early.
So every day is a gift, just like Master Oogway said.  “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift . .that is why it is called the present.”  (Even Kung Fu Panda quotes gospel principles) Today is a gift.  Make it count.

*Dang.  I meant to send this out Sunday night.  Right now, the "tomorrow is a mystery" is ringing true.  Last night, Kevin received critical blood lab results.  His platelets have dropped to 6, and his hemoglobin to 7.5.  We made it through last night with Kevin receiving extra oxygen and me bolusing the dilaudid pump every 10 minutes for pain.  We will be going to outpatient at the hospital this morning for blood and platelet transfusions. Please say an extra prayer for Kevin today.

17 comments:

  1. Abby,
    You are incredible. Prayers for your family every single day and some extras today.
    Love,
    Heather Hopkin Moss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby,

    My mom told me all about her talk with you guys (she's so lucky!!). Can you please tell Dr. Hegewald that I can't believe he even remembers our quadruple date so long ago - that was a fun night! Tell him I am hanging in there at UC Berkeley and I got an internship at my DREAM hospital out here - Highland Hospital - it's a county medical center and gets the most gun shot wounds in the country (in Oakland). I am so excited to work with the underserved population. Please tell him that I wish I was down there so I could come visit him, but that I am with him in prayer. Please know I am praying for the whole family as well. Working with Hege was the highlight of my 20's. I remember signing up for shifts if I knew he would be there because he brings so much light and joy into every place. We have so many good memories at good ol' Saddleback :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hegewalds,

    We love you and you remain in our prayers continually. Abby, do you remember the Sunday in San Clemente we walked in to sacrament meeting and Kevin was speaking (surprise!)? It was right before Valentine's Day and he spoke on REAL love as opposed to love as the world presents it. I do remember it and I think of it often. Your family has REAL love. And, you are all truly and REALLY loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are praying for you~

    We will also adopt your new motto, "make every day count!" Thank you for sharing here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers for comfort and strength. Kevin is to lucky to have you at his side. Jim Sperber

    ReplyDelete
  6. ps. I was thinking of you all during the blackout. As I carried my vaccines over to the hospital, to keep them safe in the pharmacy's generator-powered refrigerator, I hoped and prayed that all of Kevin's equipment was battery powered and could last through the outage, which it all apparently did.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby, We are praying for you. We love you, Kevin and Abby. You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have had Kevin on my mind a lot in the last few days. I dreamed about him twice this last week. I can't remember the first dream now, but in the second he was in a tan suit with a brightly colored polo underneath. Although I have not visited, because I don't feel I know you well enough to bother you, please know that our hearts are with you and pray for a miracle for you and your family. We love and admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have had your family on our minds quite a lot lately. On Sunday we sat behind your kids at church, all were happy and content, even smiling while listening to the speakers. I feel so blessed to know you and your family, Abby. You are a strength to all that come in contact with you. We love you and are praying for Kevin, and praying that every day is counted!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW Abby, there is a children's book called Lily's Purple Plastic Purse. The teacher (Mr. Slinger) is so stunned by the class, all he can say is "WOW and that is about all he could say". That is just how I feel about you. WOW and that is about all I can say! We love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Abby,
    We had no idea Kevin was sick. He is one of those bight spots- in our lives he is a spot of goodness, kindness, and intelligence all wrapped up in a big smile. Tell him we love him so much. We are now thinking of your family constantly. Thank you for this blog. Cale and Matt Angelelli

    ReplyDelete
  12. Abby you are a pillar of strength and so admired by all who have been reading your daily struggles. We pray for Kevin and your family daily. I am proud to wear my "Hope for Hegewald" bracelet!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Abby,
    You are such an amazing and beautiful woman! I love that you have been documenting this journey, and I appreciate that you share it with us. I have been checking it everyday since you started. My heart is full of so much love for your family, you guys are so wonderful, and have touched so many lives. I feel so lucky to know you. Kevin has taught me some very valuable lessons, his wisdom is beyond this world, I will treasure it always. I will keep praying everyday for you.....
    If you need some help with the kids and their sports I am always available and would love to show my support!! Call me anytime (949)291-2249
    Loves.......
    Danielle Damico

    ReplyDelete
  14. Abby,
    I got on here to leave you some uplifting words of love and encouragement but instead found myself being uplifted and strengthened from your beautiful words and testimony! Thank you!
    All my love and prayers!

    mandy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Abby you are an amazing woman of strength and thank you so much for keeping up the posts. It is very much appreciated. I was thinking of all of you during the power outage and hoped all Kevin's stuff had back up batteries.
    I am praying daily for the whole family and have sincerly adopted your family motto. Make Every Day Count...you said it and I have not known a family (albeit thru Kevin) that has loved and laughed as much as yours. I had one chance to meet Ben and Sam during the Surf N Sand photo shoot with Kevin and then met Josh when Kevin took him surfing Kevin's Crag one time. Those are vivid memories of being around a man that has inspired me and memories that I got to see your family interact and you all are an extremely precious bunch.
    Much love and prayers daily. Kevin, I'm truly blessed to have known you and know that your beliefs are keeping you as strong as possible.
    Miss you lots and have to say when my worries feel enormous, I think of you and your wonderful family and it makes me feel selfish to think I was even worrying...make each day count buddy!!
    Many prayers, bet you never thought you would eat a Carls Jr burger by candle light :)
    Your friend
    Michelle

    PS The crew at San Clem sent you a photo to your work email today ....thinking of you daily

    ReplyDelete
  16. Abby! I missed this update! It's so nice to know some of the "aw shucks" moments of the first week of school were indeed Hege prayers being answered for more family QT down there!!! You are such an amazing nurse and wife. And so glad Kevin was able to enjoy his burger-yay, moody's! So glad so much family has been able to trickle in to be together... love you much.

    ReplyDelete