Monday, June 27, 2011

No Pain, No Gain*

For some reason these words popped into my head last week.  It might have something to do with the fact that it was while I was getting a mammogram and I was seriously trying to consider what I was gaining, other than pain, from this experience.  Mind you, an experience that I had actually called and made an appointment for.  Two things actually came to mind.  First, I was witnessing a modern day miracle as I watched the technician try to take nothing and make it into something, only then to try to flatten it back into nothing.  And second, peace of mind.  Peace of mind - now there is a legitimate gain.  I thought I would apply my “peace of mind gain” to Kevin’s situation, and it just didn’t fit. I’ve stretched my brain all week trying to think of what Kevin is gaining from the pain he is in.  All I came up with was a little bit of sympathy and a stronger prescription.  The only conclusion I have is there must be an asterisk next to the phrase.  You know, the little asterisk that your brain overlooks because the words “EVERYTHING ON SALE” are screaming at you, and only with a second look and a magnifying glass do you finally see that little asterisk with the words “some restrictions apply” next to it.  I’m pretty confident this phrase must have an asterick:  no pain, no gain*  (*exception: there are times when there is pain, and no gain) That makes me feel better, but it doesn’t do much for Kevin.  He just got his 2nd round of chemotherapy this afternoon. Have I mentioned that we are using standard drugs right now?  Kevin’s not too happy about it. . .I guess, who would be?  This is Dr. Chawla’s recommendation, as the yondalis clinical trial was obviously not working for Kevin, tumors are growing, and we need to get the situation under control before trying another clinical trial (like the CoQ10).  Kevin’s white blood cells count was too low last week to get a round of chemo.  They say that’s what happens when you are getting blasted with radiation daily for over 3 weeks in two different spots.  So, here’s what the Hegewalds are praying for:  that Kevin’s sight will return to normal; that the radiation will be effective to alleviate the pain in his back and shoulder; that the chemo will slow down tumor growth; and what the heck, we still pray for peace of mind.  

4 comments:

  1. KEVIN YOU ARE MY NEW HERO. TO BE CALLED TO COME SPEAK IN STAKE CONFERENCE IS PRETTY HEADY STUFF. ESPECIALLY IF YOU DID'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. BOTH OF YOU KEEP THINGS VERY POSITIVE AROUND US, AND YOUR HOME. MAY THE LORD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR RIGHTEOUS ATTITUDES AND THE GOOD YOU ARE DOING OTHERS.OUR LOVE AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU, MANY TIMES A DAY.
    LOVE YOU ALL, AUNT KATHLEEN

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Crofts are praying with you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have our prayers abby!!! Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Our dear friends-
    We just learned of your "latest mountain" tonight. As I sit here wiping away tears, I'm also laughing out loud thinking of good memories of driving in the RV up to Northern California with you all, and laughing while playing white trash goofy golf, and learning so much about life by merely being in the presence of the most positive man we know! Kevin, we are blessed to call you a friend. We're planning a trip to San Clemente as we speak!
    Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Abby, Sophie, Josh, Benjamin and Samuel.
    Love,
    Kevin and Julie Hansen (and Lizzy and Tyler too!)

    ReplyDelete