Sunday, June 19, 2011

I love you, babe

Bucket list #9:
Attend live U2 concert  - check!

“I love you, babe”
“I love U2

Thank you Randy, Carri, and Christy for making it happen, and experiencing it with us.  It was a beautiful day.
Every eight years Kevin’s birthday falls right on Father’s Day.  This is one of those years.  I secretly cheer as I am able to roll the father’s day birthday celebration all into one.  It’s hard for me not to reflect back 8 years ago when we were having such a celebration.  Kevin had just been diagnosed with cancer the first time.  My parents were here visiting because Josh, our oldest, was baptized the day before, and Kevin was starting his first round of chemo the next day (June 20). We gave Kevin a big leather lazy boy type chair - “a cancer chair” called by some; a “healing chair” called by my mom.  My sister and brothers gave Kevin one of his favorite prints - “Prayer at Valley Forge” - a portrait of George Washington kneeling in prayer beside his horse.  That print has hung majestically above our mantle for the past 8 years.  It signified all that we needed to face our challenge - courage, humility, and a knowledge that it’s only possible with the Lord’s help.  Today we took down the George Washington portrait and replaced it with our most recent family photo.  Ironically, we find ourselves in a similar situation as 8 years ago.  But this year, Kevin’s parents and sister are here to celebrate the day with us, and our youngest, Sam, will be getting baptized later this year.  The “healing chair” is still here - all broken in with the leather all soft and worn - and the new picture above the mantle still portrays what we need to face our challenge - each other.  We still have courage, and we still pray for humility, and fortunately, we still have the knowledge that it’s only possible with the Lord’s help.  But what we’re really, really grateful for today, is that we have each other.  
Kevin, I love you, happy birthday, happy father’s day. . .eight years from now, I will let you hang whatever you want above the mantle!!  Birthday cake today . . .chemo tomorrow!  xo

4 comments:

  1. hey, you better watch what you tell him he can hang above the mantle. it could be a surf board. :) glad you had a great time at u2. markus was jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet in every way... and it was such "a beautiful day," huh??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow I am envious...I would love to see U2 live but can't think of better people to have that chance!! Abby I can totally see a surfboard being hung above the mantle....maybe get one made w Kevin's favourite print on the deck of the board! :)

    Happy Birthday again Kevin and what an excellent way to celebrate Father's Day !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Abby!!! I don't think Autumn remembered that we were in the same ward for a while, otherwise she would have told me what was going on:-) I was talking to my sister last week while she was there and she filled me in and now I have been reading your blog. I just want you to know that we love you guys so much- you and Kevin and your children left a lasting impression on JC and I that we will always remember. You have our hearts and are always in our prayers! Please tell Kevin we say hello. I don't think Sophie would remember me but she was always the highlight of my Sunday when I went into Primary.

    ReplyDelete