Monday, July 11, 2011

Here's the Plan:

Here’s the plan:  What’s the plan?  I know that many of you have been checking in to see what’s the plan.  I even found myself checking the blog in hopes that it had been updated.  I looovve having a plan - everything is so much more tolerable, more doable . .heck, I’ll even take a bad plan over no plan at all.  When Kevin came home with his chemo schedule on June 27th and the next chemo wasn’t scheduled until August 15th, to put it kindly, I freaked out.  I determined that this didn’t even qualify as a bad plan.  I came to the conclusion that I must be needed to come up with a suitable plan.  When Kevin threw up his arms and yelled, “I can’t take it anymore!” I thought he was talking about the chemo; in fact, he was referring to ME and my constant badgering on what I thought the chemo plan should be.  So last Thursday, Kevin set off on a quest to determine a plan.  His good friend flew in for the day to accompany him, and again, I tried to take no offense to his statement that his presence was a “tender mercy” which could easily have been interpreted that when Kevin is around me he would simply scream “mercy!”  
1st stop: the radiologist.  The most recent radiation to his spine burned its path through Kevin’s esophagus, leaving him unable to swallow, eat, drink, or breath without pain.  Kevin actually found comfort in the assurance that this was in fact normal and will heal within a few weeks.  Party favor: a prescription for a “miracle mouthwash” to be taken 5 minutes before eating to numb the esophagus.  Result: When I asked him how one of my super gross, super healthy smoothies tasted, he replied, “This one wasn’t too bad.  That mouthwash numbs my taste buds too.” 
2nd stop: Dr. Chawla, LA oncologist.  After tracking the last few weeks of Kevin’s life - the esophagitis; continued shoulder pain, new back pain, new pelvis pain; low blood counts; fevers - Dr. Chawla’s the one who yelled, “mercy.”  He recommended no more traditional chemotherapy. Participating in the CoQ10 study starting in August is a possibility. (Since it is a clinical trial you have to be “clean” of radiation and chemo for 30 days; Kevin’s 3 weeks of radiation disqualified him from starting the CoQ10 study in July) Party favor: a shot of Xgeva, supposedly a “new and improved drug” comparable to Zometa (remember that bone strengthening drug they give to 80 year old ladies?) Result: Kevin is experiencing every single side effect listed: flu like symptoms, muscle aches, bone pain, back pain, fevers, sweats, and the big one, sciatica.  I’ve never actually seen anyone get electrocuted, but I have a pretty good visual of what it would look like just watching Kevin the past 4 days.
3rd stop: Dr. Tetef, local oncologist.  Dr. Tetef agreed with Dr. Chawla’s recommendation to discontinue the use of traditional chemotherapy.  Party favor:  Fentanyl patches.  I don’t know my narcotics but this one is supposedly up there.  Result: Kevin could hardly wait to slap one of those on.  Hopefully in a week he will start feeling the effects(ie. less pain!!)

So, now you know all that I know . . .and I still want to know, “what’s the plan?!”  I guess the plan is:  To heal.  To allow his body to recover from all of the radiation and chemo.  To get the pain under control.  To have faith.  And to recognize that even though I have NO idea what the plan is, God does.  

5 comments:

  1. Abby,
    Thanks for posting an keeping us updated. I look at the blog daily and think of you all numerous times a day. In fact, on my hike up to timp cave with my girlfriends, yesterday morning, I thought a lot. Bless your hearts for going through all of this. I haven't figured out why, (because to me....it seems like you guys all have your heads on straight~is the key word "seems"?) I actually had to text Kev and told him to pour some of his mouthwash on his brain before he says anything else stupid and gets in more trouble. I had fentanyl patches with my brain surgery. I didn't notice a thing...although, my doctor neighbor said they were supposedly the bomb. why is it that all the good drugs just make me sleepy or pukey? I'd like a taste of the "dope" drugs. Ambien doesn't even affect me in the "fun" way. We're excited to see you all in a few weeks. Hopefully Kev is feeling a little better by then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I check the blog daily for updates and, like many other readers, were worried after seeing no new posts for two weeks. I hope that the Fentanyl patch will give Kevin some much-deserved relief...it usually does so for others. Prayers from so many continue for Kevin's healing. God bless, Jim Sperber

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too check in frequently. Thank you for updating. I wish I had some words of wisdom or something to say that could take all of this away or at least that would bring some kind of relief. But please know that we think of your family often and pray for you all always...thanks for being such wonderful examples of strength, love, and hope!
    (insert BIG hug)
    BTW, you're a wonderful writer (and I'm an editor; so I know - ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Abby and Kevin,
    All of the above...! Our hearts are full for you. ( Just to say, I completely identify--I am also a planner, can't live without one. Mike is not a planner, nothing slows him down more than a plan!) We continue to send our thoughts and prayers your way... Hopefully the pain meds will do their job!!

    ReplyDelete