Friday, September 14, 2012

Probable Cause Rocks Again!

When I met Kevin I was teaching 5th grade in an inner city school in Salt Lake.  I was assigned a class of what outsiders would consider the products of the derelicts and rejects of society.  My only survival skill was crying.  But then I started hitting the bars at night.  Too bad I didn’t drink.  I was there as a loyal “Probable Cause” groupie.  I’d nurse a diet coke and let “Miss Cannon” slip away as I watched Kevin tear it up on the electric guitar. 

“Probable Cause” was an American boys dream: start a band with your friends in your garage, enter the “Battle of the Bands,” win the “Battle of the Bands,” then have people pay you to do something that you would do for free.  “Probable Cause” had the hearts of heavy rockers, but the looks of an 80’s boys band.  As a groupie, I became familiar with the 80's covers play list and the looks of the girls with the big fluffy hair dancing closest to the stage. 

Then Kevin decided to grow up and go to medical school.  Well, one of those two goals.  At his final gig playing for a high school Prom, the Probable Cause band members saluted Kevin and dedicated the next song to me:  Social Distortion’s “Ball and Chain.”  “Take away, take away, take away this ball and chain.”  Yep.  I was Yoko Ono: the girl responsible for breaking up the band. I guess their song choice could have been worse; REM’s “It’s the End of the World as We Know It” and AC/DC’s “Highway to Hell” were both songs in their line up.  I’ve since forgiven them, and looks like they’ve forgiven me too, because . .

Probable Cause is getting back together to perform a benefit concert as a tribute to Kevin!  My kids are seriously concerned what the band will look like and sound like.  I said, “Oh come on! Think of Dad on the guitar - he’d look cool, right?”  Their silence confirmed that time has slowly erased the memory of their dad being able to pull off “cool.”  But if you’re in the Salt Lake area on October 12th, come and check out the band that rocked my world.  And who knows, maybe Kevin will make a guest appearance on the guitar.  Now THAT would rock!

Check out the facebook page event: Hegepalooza
/




2 comments:

  1. Hi Abby,
    So great to hear that Probable Cause is doing this for you (and Kevin). Does this mean that you'll be in SLC at that time? I was just talking to Hyrum and Candice and I may beg and plead with them to go that night.
    Hope you and the kids are doing well. My thoughts are with you. Without a doubt, things must still be tender. Not quite a year...

    God Bless You,
    Kelli (Miller) Tingey

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome, Abby! I hope there is some video out there of Kevin rockin' that guitar. I'm quite certain he was UBER cool. Just look at that makeup! :D -elizabeth h.

    ReplyDelete