Thursday, April 19, 2012

Faking It

Every Monday morning I start my day helping little people check out books from the school library.  A couple of weeks ago, Sam’s teacher pulled me aside and said, “Can I ask you a question? You seem to be doing remarkably well, and I wanted to know . . are you really doing that well, or are you just faking it?”  Without any hesitation the words, “Oh, I’m faking it” flew from my mouth. Honestly, despite it being perhaps one of my “most real” moments, I’ve felt badly about it ever since. (Well, I’ve felt badly about it whenever I’m not laughing about it.)  When it comes to really faking it, I should receive an Oscar for my “I am totally capable of flying across the country with my four children for a week in DC” and (here’s the clincher) “It’s fun!!”  
We had the most amazing trip to Washington DC. for Spring Break.  I took 85 pictures in 5 days, which is nothing compared to my sister’s 385, but a whole lot more than the pictures Kevin came home with in 1992.  We were newly married and Kevin went back to DC to interview for a medical school spot at George Washington University.  After a weekend in the city, he returned home with FOUR pictures - one of the couple allowing him to sleep on their couch, and three of “the biggest squirrels” (according to Kevin) he had ever seen. He claims he saw them on the grassy mall.  I told him that story would be much more convincing had he chosen to perhaps include one of the national monuments in the background.  
Well, now we have photos to include of all of the national monuments.  And we experienced so much more.  Here are a few of our highlights:
Witnessed a live action event at Colonial Williamsburg - runaway horses pulling a buggy with the driver yelling, “MOVE! MOVE! These horses aren’t stopping!!”
Rode insane roller coasters at Busch Gardens
Flew through space in the Hubble 3D movie at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.  Josh fell sound asleep, exhausted from our late nights, and woke up distraught that he had slept through the most interesting thing of the day
Was drawn to tears in Ford’s Theatre
By the 3rd Smithsonian, had the kids bored to tears
On Easter Sunday, attended Catholic mass, in Latin, in Chinatown
Illegally touched the Ronald Reagan statue in the US Capitol, only after the encouragement from our awesome tour guide, Michael - “You only live once”
Observed Monets from a distance after being told there was to be “NO PHYSICAL INTERACTION WITH THE ART”
Spent as much time in the National Gallery of Art gift shop as we spent in the museum
Took on secret identities at the International Spy Museum
Performed baptisms in the Washington DC temple
Devoured TLC famous “DC Cupcakes”
Observed the changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier with reverence.  Then spent the rest of the day trying to imitate the guard’s walk.
Saw the wonder of the Lincoln Monument at night (and the Vietnam wall, Korean War memorial, and WWII memorial), only to have them completely upstaged by 3 baby foxes frolicking in the grass. . . .Which brings me full circle.  Foxes.  Giant Squirrels.  I agree with Kevin - there is a lot more to DC than just the monuments.  

Best part of DC: Being with GG and cousins



8 comments:

  1. Well that does it....I no longer need to visit DC. I feel like I just received a personal tour, now, if I could just figure out a way to photoshop myself into these pictures! Abby, you are awesome! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you went and did that. What a wonderful way to spend time with your kids & family. On my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abby -

    We miss you guys. I had to laugh at both your "faking it" moment and the giant squirrels. Kevin and I were such kindred spirits. I would have come home with the same three pictures and Missy would have just shook her head. In fact, Avery's favorite memory of our family vacation to Zion was when I snuck up on the ground squirrel and kicked him in the "furry buns," as she would say.

    I smiled last week when I had to hit the medicine cabinet and get some of my favorite cough medicine with codeine. Just seeing his name on the bottle brought back a flood of memories.

    Hang in there - our love to you and the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are some DEAR ABBY letters I found recently while going through some papers :). Just wondering if any of them spark a post for you. We love you!
    Cousin Heather
    P.S. I've been sobbing through your recent posts, but when I read about Kevin's 4 photos, 3 of the huge squirrels, I LAUGHED SO HARD. If there had been drink in my mouth, my computer would have been ruined. Seriously, LAUGHING UNCONTROLLABLY, with the leftover tears still dropping onto the table. Man, what a personality he has! And how great you are at sharing both his and yours with us through your writing.

    DEAR ABBY,
    Do you still have Kevin listed in your email addresses and cell phone contacts?
    Sincerely,
    Keeping in Contact

    DEAR ABBY,
    In the past 6 months, have you ever felt like Kevin was watching you or with you?
    Sincerely,
    The Veil is Thin

    DEAR ABBY,
    Do you ever forget that Kevin has passed? For me (with Lora), I think it was about a year later that I started having dreams of her healthy, then I'd wake up, and in that sleepy moment, realize I'd forgotten she wasn't alive.
    Sincerely,
    Missing My Loved One

    DEAR ABBY,
    How is your family surviving, financially, without Kevin?
    Sincerely,
    Thinking of Your Pocketbook

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Abby, I just heard your story today at the Huntington Beach's Relief Society Conference and it was so comforting to all of us! There was not a dry face in the group! But what I felt such a connection with you was on the fact you stated about feeling such peace upon Kevin's death. I had that same feeling and yet so many of my friends said to me "No, you are in denial as you must go through the steps of grief." Those are man-made steps -- I was there and saw his last breaths and no one can deny what happened -- it was peaceful and beautiful and I feel so very blessed to have that comfort. Thank you for the confirmation you gave to me today that it is possible to lose our husbands, our companions and best friend and feel peace. Bless you always and your family. Margie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Abby! I love reading your updates about the family; thanks so much for your honesty. I sure do miss running into and visiting Dr. Hege at the hospital. Praying for you all and I look forward to more blog posts.

    Carrie Allen :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you are a Kraken user and have any technical error and need urgent help then dial Kraken Support Number +1-847-868-3847. For more information, you can visit at https://krakencontactinfo.com/kraken-support-number-2020

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the off chance that you simply are confronting any issue identified with an Atomic wallet, you'll contact our Atomic wallet Support Number 1- (856) 254-3098. For more information, you can visit at https://atozwallets.com/atomic-wallet-support-number/

    ReplyDelete