Sunday, March 27, 2011

"When did we get so famous?"

Those were the words of my nine year old when the umpteenth goodie was dropped off at our door.  Oh, the amount of love that has entered our home, all wrapped up in baskets, boxes, plates, & tinfoil.  The words “thank you” have never seemed so inadequate.  I wish there were different forms of “thank you” in our language.  One “thank you” could simply mean, “thank you for kindly passing the peas,” and another one could mean, “thank you for noticing that I put on makeup today,” and then there would be a “thank you” that is the ultimate thank you, which means, “thank you for sharing our burden and answering our prayers and being a disciple of Christ.”  That’s the thank you I am talking about.  Thank you for your heart felt and uplifting letters, emails, and texts. Thank you for the homemade soups, chilis, salsas, breads, and baked goods. Thank you for decorating my home with hearts, and plants, and happy flowers like hydrangeas, lilies, daisies, and rhonuculas. Thank you for your thoughtful gifts that bring Kevin comfort - music, movies, books, blankets, and prune juice.  Thank you for your gifts that help ease my burden - gift cards, and note cards, and paper plates; offers to pick up groceries, watch my kids, drive my kids, adopt my kids.  If I don’t respond, please know that your offer was appreciated, and try again!   I just didn’t need anything at that time and I just wouldn’t feel right about putting my kids up for adoption.  A special thank you to my sister, Kim, and her daughter, Rachel, who flew in on Delta’s wings to rescue me from drowning, when I thought it might be physically possible to drown in your own tears.  Fortunately, those heart wrenching, soul sobbing, desperate tears have been replaced with “happy tears.”  When the little boys caught Kevin reading a letter with tears streaming down his face, he quickly explained that these were “happy tears” - tears that fall when touched by the Spirit or the kind words and acts of others. These are really the only tears now that fall freely in the Hegewald home.  And thanks to all of you, they do fall freely.  Last week the happy tears really fell when Kevin opened a letter from our 9 year old niece, Olivia.  Kevin always tries to convince Olivia that he is her favorite Uncle, but Olivia is quick to tell him that that title is held by 2 other Uncles (who couldn’t possibly be more fun, but are definitely seen more often).  The note read:  “ to My favorite uncle Kevin.  Kevin, I hope you fight your canser and I was just kidding about Russ and Ryan.  You know how teasing goes.”  I wonder what it would take for me to become favorite Aunt?  I’ve learned that fame comes with a price.   

9 comments:

  1. So grateful that you both have been uplifted, your family is truly loved!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin and Abby, We love "Happy Tears"...and we love YOU. Thanks for being who you ARE...what incredible examples you are to the rest of us. Our thoughts and prayers are with you constantly. Look forward to our night on the town...soon!!! xoxoxox Stan and Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in our thoughts and prayers daily and though we are not physically there to bring by dinner or help with whatever, we know that the ward and friends around you are taking good care of you! Just read this article
    and thought you might like to read it too if you haven't already!

    http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2011/0314/features-clayton-christensen-health-care-cancer-survivor.html

    we love you!
    love, Tanner, Katie and kids

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family is an inspiration to us all. We are the ones that need to thank you for all of the happiness and blessings you give to us! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for letting us cry happy tears with you! (and the other kind...) Your post today just produced tears of hilarity, streaming down my face--Abby, you're a riot!! And looks like Olivia's taking after her "favorite" aunt's writing style... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby, you've always been favorite aunt around here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely quote ..

    “Man often becomes what he believes himself to be. If I keep on saying to myself that I cannot do a certain thing, it is possible that I may end by really becoming incapable of doing it. On the contrary, if I have the belief that I can do it, I shall surely acquire the capacity to do it even if I may not have it at the beginning.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am inspired. You are a treasure. Praying for you daily!With Love,
    The Hartleys

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abby, you have a gift. I am in tears one second and crying the next. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. We love you guys.
    The Tuversons

    ReplyDelete