Monday, February 20, 2012

Dear Abby

Today marks 5 months since the day Kevin left us.  The top question asked is: (head tilt) "How are you?"  The 2nd top question asked is: "Are you going to write the blog anymore?"
Honestly, the blog to me served a purpose - to keep friends updated on Kevin’s situation and to spare me the pain of having to repeat the details over and over.  But it became much more than that for me.  I discovered that writing about something that was breaking my heart, was actually helping to heal it. I’d love to keep writing - I just don’t know what I’d write about.  But a thought occurred to me last week . . . .
My parents thought ahead when they named me “Abby Cannon.”  That name provided some of the best campaign slogans in my running for office years.  There was the successful: “For a year with a BIG  BANG - Vote Abby CANNON” (6th grade school President - ka-boom) And the not so successful: “I just flew in from the ABBY” (cheerleader tryouts dressed as a flying nun) Although that one wasn’t the campaign slogan nearly as much as my inability to turn a straight cartwheel.  But the best one? “Dear Abby, Who should I vote for 8th grade Historian?  Signed, Uncertain.  Dear Uncertain, Abby Cannon of course!”  That one was sheer genius.  I have endearing memories of “Dear Abby” for several reasons.  On the night Kevin proposed to me he sang me John Prine’s song “Dear Abby” with his guitar.
“Dear Abby, Dear Abby . .
You won’t believe this
But my stomach makes noises whenever I kiss
My girlfriend tells me it’s all in my head
But my stomach tells me to write you instead
Signed Noise-maker

Noise-maker, Noise-maker
You have no complaint
You are what you are, and you ain’t what you ain’t
So listen up Buster, and listen up good
Stop wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood”
Total classic.  He sang 3-4 verses and then wrote his own lyrics for the finale.  I wasn’t sure if I was saying yes to a rock star or a cowboy.  
SO. . this all has a purpose . . . Post a comment or send me an email (abbyhegewald@gmail.com)addressed to Dear Abby with a question that you would like answered about what life is like for the Hegewalds without Kevin. This will give me something to write about, as well as fulfilling a secret fantasy of writing an advice column. (not really) So, here’s your chance to ask that question you haven’t dared ask.  Just remember, there are no stupid questions.  Only stupid answers.  
Signed, abby

9 comments:

  1. Dear Abby (aka. the Big Bang)
    Do you ever feel like you neglect your daughter?
    Love,
    your ka- booming daughter, SOPHIE
    P.S. xoXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how excited I was to see a new post on this blog!! You want questions? Really? Ok, here is probably at least your #3 most commonly asked question, how are your kids doing? I can tell that Sophie still has a sense of humor from the above comment! I feel sad that the ward split means that I won't see much of you anymore, so if you are thinking of keeping up this blog, I am fully supporting you!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. As one of your many many fans, SO stoked to see an update!
    I don't have any questions yet, just a statement...YOU are amazing and inspiring!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. hip! hip! hooray! I'm SO happy you posted this and are open to blogging again. we have much to learn and glean from you, abby. Will you someday tell the full story of falling in love & marrying Kevin? (this little glimpse was just a teaser!) More questions to come... xo. elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still laughing at Sophie's comment. She is ka-booming :) I'm so glad you are writing again! I'll have some questions for you shortly. Thank you for being so open.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Abbey, I am Leslie Power's mother, Kris Bloomer. Your Blog about Kelvin's life is beautiful. Leslie shared it with me. The title of Adversity is so touching. I have used it in a couple of lessons I have taught and wanted you to know how special you and your family are. My heart goes out to you with love and appreciation for the things so personal you have shared.

    Leslie's family thinks the world of you and your beautiful children,

    Thanks for sharing,
    Love,
    Kris Bloomer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky me to check in and get two posts to catch up on tonight. One of them being the early days of Abby and Kevin! You know we use the Work Hard, Play Harder motto many many times with our girls? It has become our family motto per "the Hegewald's".

    I am with Elizabeth though, can you share how you met and fell in love?

    Also, just curious if you have added any pets to the family lately? Maybe a rooster? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO glad you updated! I check this blog at least once a week. You did it again...you made me laugh and cry. You have a gift, I love your writing. Thank you for being open and honest and for sharing your story with us. I would love to hear more about Kevin and Abby in the beginning! We still always talk about Sophie, my kids favorite babysitter. Love her comment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! Tell us your love story. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete