Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Hope

Hello to my curious followers.  I assume that if you are reading this you just clicked on the blog out of habit, or for old times sake, kind of like me calling Kevin’s phone just to hear his voicemail.  People have asked me if I was going to continue the blog, and I still don’t know.  It really was about Kevin’s journey, with all of us tagging along, and if I were to continue I’d have to change the blog name to: “This Mountain IS Too High.” However, I would like to share some memorial service highlights, as well as post the amazing DVD of Kevin’s life . . .but in the mean time, I’ve made an interesting discovery that I wanted to share (with the 3 of you reading this).  Sometimes I would write blog entries that I never posted.  The following is one of them.
My good friend Susie sent me a decorative letter “H” for my birthday.  That
“H” can represent a lot of things.  Obviously Hegewald. A name we will forever have to spell to others. But when I look at that “H” displayed by our family portrait, I think of Hope. Hope has had a special place in my heart, and near my heart, throughout this challenge.  My sister-in-law, Christy, gave me a necklace with the word hope. I love it and I wear it constantly.  I take it off at night, but part of my brush my teeth morning routine includes putting my hope back on.  What it stands for changes.  Somedays, I hope for healing.  Others, I hope for comfort.  Mostly, I hope for understanding.  Not only do I wear hope near my heart, but I wear it on my wrist.  The “Hope for Hegewald” bands were the most amazing and inspired gift ever.  This is the first time I have mentioned them on the blog, because honestly, they created such a fashion craze, I didn’t want anyone feeling excluded from wearing a little hope on their own wrist.  The bands were thought of by our neighbor Kelly, our church’s Young Women’s President, and designed by a few young ladies. Do you want to know why they are blue and green?  Kelly asked Sophie Kevin’s favorite color and she said blue.  She asked me and I said green. (Sophie was right) When I look at the blue and green, it’s perfect for Kevin because it makes me think of green mountains in blue skies.  Kelly first ordered 400, to be given to all of the youth in our church.  Kevin teaches and works with the 16-18 year old boys (young men really) in our church and they hold a very special place in Kevin’s heart. With friends, and parents, and leaders, of those youth wanting their own bands, a second order for 400 more was quickly placed and slowly received, literally, on a slow boat from China.  The reach of the “Hope for Hegewald” bands has been amazing.  I catch glimpses of blue and green on the wrists of church friends, neighbors, hospital coworkers, school class friends, Vista del Mar staff members and teachers, soccer friends, dear friends, friends we didn’t know were our friends. We sent bands to parents, siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews.  I doubt Kelly knew what the effects would be of such a band. It definitely is an outward expression of support, unity, and faith in hope.  What she probably doesn’t know is it became an amazing conduit to opening up discussions for my children during those first awkward weeks of Kevin’s diagnosis.  When asked about the band, they were able to say, “it says Hope for Hegewald - because my dad has cancer.”  It’s an awful thing to say, but it’s a much more awful thing to keep inside and not say at all.  Kelly, I am forever grateful.  It has been my constant companion for the past 5 1/2 months.

Now here’s my discovery:
I have become a student of Hope.  I figured if I was wearing it, I’d better understand it.  Bruce R. McConkie states, “Hope is the desire of faithful people to gain eternal salvation in the kingdom of God hereafter.  It is not a flimsy, ethereal desire, one without assurance that the desired consummation will be received, but a desire coupled with full expectation of receiving the coveted reward.”  What?@!  All of the sudden these “Hope for Hegewald” bands took on new meaning . . .what exactly were we hoping for here?  There have been 1,000 of Kevin’s best friends wearing “Hope for Hegewald” bands, who like me, have been hoping for a lot of things - peace, comfort, understanding, a miracle.   Did we inadvertently petition the Lord for something even greater than these? . .the “coveted reward” of  eternal life? The prophet Mormon states, “And what is it that ye shall hope for?  Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise.” (Moroni 7:41) I know that Kevin is one step closer to receiving eternal life. He was righteous, he was obedient, he was faithful, he endured to the end.
So, what are you going to do with your “Hope for Hegewald” band?  It would be ok to take it off and tuck it in a drawer.  Then one day when you stumble upon it you will be reminded of the part you played in helping Kevin achieve life’s greatest hope.  As for me?  I’m keeping mine on.  It reminds me of the AMAZING love and support of friends; and when my own time comes to return home,  I can only hope that I have as many friends petitioning on my behalf that I, too, am deserving of HOPE.  


23 comments:

  1. Yay, another post from the hidden vault of posts that never got posted! I'm so glad you decided to share this, and am so grateful for the things you have taught me. Through this blog, you have given me a way to get to know you that I haven't had the opportunity to do thus far. You are an incredible writer, you have a way of communicating thoughts and feelings exceptionally well, I hope you know that! And i have to say Abby, when I saw you at the funeral, you were absolutely radiant. Not just outwardly beautiful, but exuding beauty from within. I'm grateful to have been able to read these posts, and hope you continue to share, if not on this blog, maybe in a book!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad we got another post! I love reading your words. They have inspired me the last few months and you have an incredible talent. I remember you first post. I was laughing and crying at the same time. Keep blogging Abby, because I love reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm honored to be one of the three still reading! You have an incredible talent for putting thoughts into words while captivating your readers. I agree with Lizzie...keep blogging or write a book! Stay strong - we are all here with you! XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make that 4 followers. Writing is therapeutic. Love you!!! xoxo kj

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5 followers! I REALLY am hoping you still post on this blog - or another. I want to know how you guys are all doing. Sometimes I am just overcome with sadness about Hege being gone from this earth... can't even bring myself to watch the video yet. Anyway, I feel like my pain is deep, so then I am reminded that yours and the kids and the family's pain is even more deep and so then I pray for you all. Reading these blogs also reminds me to pray. Thinking of you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby, Keep on posting, you lift each of us to greater heights. I really think you should write a book. You have an unbelievable God given talent for putting life in context. We all admire your faith and courage and pray that you will continue to be blessed. Love you all, Aunt Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy that you have shared another wonderful post with us! I check your blog daily hoping to find something from you and today you made me a happy girl! Thanks for your thoughts. You have uplifted me in so many ways. I hope to be like you and Kevin. We continue to pray for you and your family every day. Love you.

    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Today was a hard day, Julie and I were down at the beach watching the waves and all I could think of was that Kevin and I should be out there , very depressing and that's how the day went. Julie said you put a new post up, so i'm reading your words that are inspirational and comforting.

    HOPE, I hope you and the kids are doing well.

    Love and prayers are flowing your way and always will be.

    Van

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad for another post. Your writing is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love you, love your powerful, moving words! I will forever read whatever you write!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes! HOPE for HEGEWALD'S everywhere! I'm so glad we finally got a band! I love wearing it. I say...keep up the blog...friends want to know how you're doing and what you're up too. :) HOPE to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Abby, thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You can add an entire ER Crew to your 3...we are still thinking about, missing and hoping for Kevin. We ALL hope that eternal salvation was his reward. Not a day has passed since the very first day that Dr. Hegewald was not on the schedule, that we haven't talked about him, told a story, or laughed remembering all the times we had with him. Thank you for continuing to share YOUR journey with us. Your words are beautiful and comforting and give all of us HOPE.

    Saddleback Memorial ER

    ReplyDelete
  14. Don't stop posting. Even the ones you never posted have an elegance and deeper meaning now. God bless, Jim Sperber

    ReplyDelete
  15. WAY more than 3 followers. THOUSANDS of people who love you, Kevin, and your children. Probably more. Still wearing the band (and grateful to have been let in on the fashion craze). My kids keep trying to take it for themselves, but, luckily, we found another at my parents' house, so now they can both have one if I let them borrow mine.
    We're praying for you, Abby. I can't understand how high this mountain is for you; my heart breaks each time I try to. But I know there are so many people, on both sides of the veil, who want you to succeed and will do everything we can for your family. I love getting to know my cousin better. Thanks for posting. I've checked the blog so many times, just wondering . . . and missing being a part of something bigger. You don't owe it to us to write, but I really love hearing from you. There are many people grieving the loss of Kevin, so it brings a nice brotherhood, I think, to hear little bits of each other. I'd buy the book!
    Cousin Heather

    ReplyDelete
  16. REALLY hope you keep this up because being SO far away it is my only way to keep up with you! You are in my daily thoughts and prayers. Love reading this blog!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Abby,

    Thanks so much for sharing this post. I checked the website with HOPE that you would continue to write. I love you and am grateful for the many thoughts you've shared through this blog. It is, I'm sure, sometimes difficult to share your feelings with blogger world but I so appreciate your willingness to do so. As a family, you are in our prayers always. We continue to pray for strength and peace for your family! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I randomly checked and my heart soared to read your words again! You MUST keep writing because you ARE the perfect student--and teacher--of hope, and we all still have a lot to learn from you. Thank you for your beautiful words, please keep them coming for all of us. And when you're ready to put it all into a book, I know someone who knows someone... :). Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love reading your posts and I love that you love the bands and I love you and your family! Keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am so one of your top three fans! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for helping my hope to soar, Abby. Please keep writing. Your words and Kevin's are so inspiring. We all love you and your family. I HOPE you keep the posts coming... :) Lynda & Brian N.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I logged in again because I wanted to print out the post Kevin dictated to you on adversity. I printed it out before but I have been passing it around to all my kids and using it for other things so that first copy got lost. I loved your last post. I think about you and the kids and Kevin on a regular basis. Your strength and faith and posts are very inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete